The Moreau family presence in Chablis starts at the beginning of the XIX° century when, in 1814, Joseph Moreau came from Montbard and established himself as a cooper.
His wedding with Olympe Ducard, daughter of a Chablis winegrower and negociant, gave him the opportunity to settle himself in Chablis and to become an important member of the community.
Nevertheless, his son Alexander’s wedding with Marie Riotte enforced the links between the Moreau family and Chablis since she brought the Premier Cru Vaillons and most of the Grands Crus parcels as her wedding dowry.
In 1904, Jean-Joseph (3rd generation) buys a plot called “Clos des Hospices” within Grand Cru Les Clos to the Chablis Hospital. This plot has been a family monopole since then.
After a difficult period due to the First and Second World Wars, the family estate went through a new expansion thanks to Jean-Jacques Moreau.
As a matter of fact, when his father passed away in 1966, Jean-Jacques took over the direction of the family domaines next to his uncle Guy.
He had three goals to achieve :
to complete the family estates acquiring plots in Premiers Crus and Grands Crus appellations, what he realized in the 60’s;
to create his own domaine, what he did through Domaine de Bieville ;
to give to the family estates an international scale by creating a wine merchant company called J.Moreau & Fils. This one became worldwide renown and, in 1986, Jean-Jacques decided to retire and sold his shares to his partners.
Of course, Jean-Jacques Moreau only sold the business, the family kept the fully property of the vineyards. After this happened, Jean-Jacques and his cousin Christian divided the Premier Cru and Grands Crus plots in two.
On his side, since 1994, Jean-Jacques has left the direction of the family estates to his son Louis who represents the 6° generation of Moreau and leads Domaine Louis Moreau.