Join our mailing list
Sign In or Create an Account | Your Account | Shipping Info | Help  1.800.518.0899
     Advanced Search
Home. Wine. Spirits. Kosher Store. Shopping Cart. Contact Us. FAQ.
Shop for Wine.
Best Wine Deals
Clearance Deals
Kosher Wines
Red Wines.
Cabernet Sauvignon
Pinot Noir
Bordeaux Blends
More Red Wines...
White Wines.
Sauvignon Blanc
Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris
More White Wines...
Wine Type.
Dessert Wines
Fortified Wines
Wine Gift Ideas.
Birthday Wine Ideas
Free Shipping Cases
Fun Wine Labels
Spooky Spirits
The Spookiest Wines
Wedding Wine Gifts Ideas
Spirits (NY).
Chateau de Bligny Champagne Brut Rose Grande Reserve 750ML  
Sku: 44184
Product Rating
Critics Ratings:   (1)
Product Information
Country: France
Region: Champagne
Grape Varietal: Champagne Blend
Type: Sparkling
Reg. $58.69
Web Only Sale $43.29
Buy Chateau de Bligny Champagne Brut Rose Grande Reserve
This Rose offers raspberry, fig, quince and sweet spice flavours and a velvety, deliciously fresh finish.
Wine Spectator 91 points - Ripe black cherry, plum and spice notes are framed by juicy acidity, fine texture and a chalky base note in this well-knit rose. Very approachable as an aperitif, but with structure to match light dishes. Drink now through 2017. 800 cases made. AN  (Jun 15 2012)

Leave a Comment
Wine maker notes
Vines are known to have been planted in Bligny since the 12th Century. The current vineyards cover twenty hectares. All the plots that were well-reputed in the past have been replanted, including the former vineyards of the Sainte Euladie Priory founded centuries ago, the “Bernardin vineyards that once belonged to the monks of the famous Cistercian abbey of Clairvaux, and the “Val-lErmite.

This magnificent property overlooks the village and was built on the foundations of the feudal castle by the Marquis de Dampierre, a French peer who had bought the estate in 1773 in order to hunt wolves. The tower and wing were added in the 19th Century. Solidly built of dressed stone and firmly sited at the base of a mound, the Chateau overlooks the village and the valley of the Landion, the source of which is situated under the Chateau cellars and still supplies it with water today. The main door of the Chateau comes from the former feudal castle demolished in 1770 and is in the Louis XIII style with its fine sculptural decorations of grapes and vine branches. Vines have been grown on the slopes of Bligny for many centuries. The Marquis de Dampierre, who owned the Bligny glassworks, lived in the chateau in the heart of the village. He also owned the surrounding hillsides. The vineyards provided for his personal wine consumption, and the wine was mostly still. In 1871, the Marquis de Dampierre lost his son, killed at the front. Contrary to certain draft schemes, the railway did not come through Bligny: it was routed instead through Bar-sur-Aube. The glassworks was therefore moved to Bar. Phylloxera sounded the death knell of the Bligny vineyards. Its reconstruction began in the early 19th Century when the chateau was passed on to Baron de Cachard. Louis XVIII had made him a noble and given him the title of Baron. Baron de Cachard gave the estate a new lease of life as a wine-producing establishment: he decided to plant a large vineyard, which earned him the nickname of “Gentleman Wine-maker. Baron de Cachard had been aware of the former excellent reputation of the wines in the region. He had also bought the vineyards of the former Sainte Eulalie Priory, founded in the village in around 1000. The vineyards that he planted and bought now form the Chateau de Bligny estate. In 1930 the vineyards covered forty-four hectares. After the war, the estate was bought by a gentleman from Tours, Mr. Lefevre, who wanted to add a champagne to his range of sparkling wines. His plans did not come to fruition and the property was divided up. In 1952, the Lorin family bought the vineyards in several lots and replanted in 1954. We are now seeing the rebirth of Bligny as a result of heavy investment in production equipment, and the chateau has been superbly renovated. The renovated Chateau has been open to the public since 1999. You can visit the house, which, along with its land, has a great historic, architectural and wine-making heritage. The dining and reception rooms have retained their decorative woodwork and ceilings painted with cherubs and cupids. An outstanding collection of a thousand champagne glasses, including pieces designed by Lalique and Daum, reminds us that the village was the home of one of the Aubes largest crystal glassworks until 1881. Its cellars have the “Champagne Tourist Trail label, and visitors can admire the magnificent neo-Gothic stained glass windows. The latest plan is to create a “Clos (parcel of vines surrounded by walls) in the vast grounds of the Chateau, a project that is rare in Champagne. The “clos will allow visitors to witness the different stages in the growth of the vines.

Copyright © 2016 All rights reserved.